Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm not...you know...

     Certain names have been changed to protect the guilty.

     A few weeks ago  I was at a party. Everybody was getting mildly plastered, or roaring drunk depending on your perspective. Hell, even I had had a few, and I don't drink. Fun times, intelligent people, good talk.

     I struck up a conversation with an attractive young lady. This is, in and of itself, unusual, because I'm normally very shy and quiet at parties. So we were talking, and joking and I'm enjoying myself and she's laughing and seems to be having a good time. And I think  I'm doing  really well.

     Turns out she thought I gave off a Gay vibe.

     It wasn't meant as an insult, she explained.
    
     But it didn't help. I never took it as an insult (you want to fall all over yourself doing the Seinfeld line "Not that there's anything wrong with that" or "some of my best friends are" even though some of my best friends actually are. Like I said, Theatre) but being a heterosexual male, it's just not the image I want to project.

     So I started to think about it, trying to figure out how she got that impression.

     I'm into theatre.  Dead Giveaway. Even directed musicals.

     I have a fairly good vocabulary. I tend to use it in conversation.

     I've been known to have a sarcastic sense of humour, occasionally "bitchy".

     I'm an artsy.

     Oh yeah,  and I have actual conversations with women, most of which don't have much in the way of sexual innuendo. I also listen. I  look into eyes, and try not to look a breasts, or get caught ( I am, after all, a hetero male). Maybe that has something to do with it.  My closest friends are women ( and Gay people, not that there's anything wrong with that, not to mention Gay women, except I just did)

      So just to set the record straight, I'm not Gay in the sexual preference sense. Like Charlie Chaplin said when asked if he was Jewish "I'm sorry, I don't have that honour".

    


No comments:

Post a Comment