Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fran's Back!

So I'm flipping through the channels tonight trying to find something to watch and I land on an episode of The Nanny. On that show and in her own way, Fran Drescher is a stunningly beautiful woman with an incredible wardrobe. And since this was a clip show, there was even more wardrobe than usual and less intellectual challenge than usual to the bim-bam-boom script. I watched and was entertained, and really, who can ask for more than that?

Apparently Fran Drescher herself can. The Nanny's been off the air for a while now. Lots of things have happened in the interim. Her new show will debut soon, and the premise is as far from frothy Park Avenue Nanny hijinx as you can get. It's the story of her marriage to, and divorce from Peter Marc Jacobson, who is gay. I think they go from married couple to divorced roommates in the pilot. The show is a sitcom. It's on TV Land. It may sound sort of like Reba or The New Adventures of Old Christine but it's not.

I have been married twice, and our separations were extremely painful experiences. I can't even imagine how much learning that my husband was gay would have amped up the pain. Not only doesn't he love me, he doesn't love my whole gender... at least not in "that way." Nope. Not funny, not after years of all manner of intimacy, not just the physical kind, to discover what a total sham it's all been, all that time.

On the other hand, my conviction is not based on personal experience. There's a possibility that it's a hilarious situation, risibility ripe for exploitation.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Nope. Still not funny.

1 comment:

  1. If marrying and divorcing gay men was successful fodder for sitcoms how come no one told Liza?--and that crap with David Frozefacewhathizname doesn't count!

    ReplyDelete